1 pound red beets (3 medium)
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups almond flour
3/4 kosher or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup coconut palm sugar or raw turbinado sugar
2 large eggs
2/3 cup olive oil or coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whipping cream or 1 can coconut cream
1 teaspoon peppermint extract or vanilla extract
2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar or raw turbinado sugar
1. Cut off ends of beets. Wrap in foil. Bake in oven at 350 degrees until soft – approximately 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, add all the other ingredients to blender or food processor.
3. Add cooled beets to blender or food processor.
4. Use and ice cream scoop and spoon batter into cupcake papers. (Do not allow batter to sit very long because the coconut flour will soak up all the liquid very quickly.)
5. Bake cupcakes for approximately 25 minutes or until tops look dry and springy to touch. Remove from oven to cool.
6. Whip together cream, peppermint extract (if desired) and coconut palm sugar for frosting.
7. When cupcakes are completely cooled, pipe frosting on top and add sprinkles. Serve.